We have had the privilege of working with many clients dedicated to preserving architectural landmarks in our area.
In addition to planning restorations for certified historic structures, we have served as architect or consultant for preservation projects for numerous buildings individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. One of these is Knoxville’s only registered National Historic Landmark. In fact, our firm has provided preservation services for the three oldest buildings still standing in downtown Knoxville.
Our historic preservation projects have helped us understand and appreciate old ways of building, which relied almost solely on masonry, wood, plaster, glass and metals.
“They clearly are Knoxville's premier preservation architects.”
– Pete Claussen, Chairman, Gulf & Ohio Railways
James Park House
Stabilization and adaptive reuse of the 1812 home of one of Knoxville's earliest citizens as the new headquarters offices for Gulf & Ohio Railways. Certified rehabilitation included historic research and preparation of National Park Service documents in addition to basic architectural services. Recipient of 2007 AIA Tennessee Excellence Award in Architecture and several other awards.
2014 adaptive reuse of the John and Adelia Lutz residence as a house museum and offices for Knox Heritage, Inc. Project included code upgrades due to change in occupancy and all new systems. A new addition had to comply with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards. Westwood was especially challenging as an integration project due to the extent of decorative painting at interior surfaces. Photos (except befores) by Robert Batey Photography
Johnson Univ. White House
Renovation and expansion of 1890 home of the founder of Johnson University. A beloved centerpiece of this pastoral riverside college, the White House was in need of a comprehensive renovation. It had additions that were incompatible with its original architecture and were removed to allow a sensitive expansion designed in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards. Recipient of 2010 Knox Heritage Greystone Award.
Construction administration consulting for targeted restoration of National Historic Landmark on the Mansion's bicentennial. President George Washington appointed William Blount to be Governor of the Territory of the United States South of the River Ohio. Recipient of Greater Knoxville Beautification Board Historic Preservation Award.
Church Street United Methodist Church
Preservation and restoration of site and building components for 1930 downtown landmark.
Recipient of Knox Heritage "Fabulous Fifteen" Preservation Award.
Avery Russell House/
Campbell Station Inn
As an early respite for those passing through Knoxville, this building has been recognized as one of the earliest inns in Tennessee. It is reported to have hosted such dignitaries as President Andrew Jackson and Louis Phillippe, who later became King of France. The inn also played an important role in the Civil War’s Battle of Campbell Station which was fought in the area on Nov. 16, 1863. The Avery Russell House/Campbell Station Inn is listed on the National Register. This 2018 project was an initial stabilization phase, to be followed by site development, and eventually by interior renovation.
Renovation of historic theatre complex for improved life safety and accessibility, introduction of air conditioning, and replacement of dressing rooms. Second renovation included rigging improvements and seating restoration.
Rehabilitation of 1920's neighborhood school into 20,000 square feet of offices for an accounting firm. Recipient of Knoxville Heritage Inc. Preservation Award.
Renovation and facade restoration of historic Gay Street building in downtown Knoxville.
Rhea County Courthouse
Renovation of this National Historic Landmark included extensive roof repair, helping to preserve this important structure for decades to come.